Foreign researchers


Find here the latest information about COVID-19, restrictions and requirements in France :


Welcome and support for foreign researchers

See our leaflet for more
Watch the Euraxess Network
presentation video

The EURAXESS Service Centre:

  • Facilitates the necessary steps for the arrival of foreign research guests, contractual doctoral candidates, post-doctoral fellows and teachers-researchers hosted at the University of Strasbourg, and their families.
  • Accompanies the foreign researchers in the preparation of their stay and their settlement in Alsace. The partnership agreement with the Prefecture of Bas-Rhin allows an expedited procedure for the residence permit application.

Office hours

The office is open from Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm by appointment only (except in case of emergency).


The Euraxess Service Centre

International University House

11, Presqu'île Malraux

67 100 Strasbourg

Tel. +33 3 68 85 16 50



Preparing for your visit to France


◊ The University of Strasbourg has essentially three possible types of accommodation for foreign researchers:

You can send your request or question to

Visa and Immigration

The Euraxess service centre offers its expertise to researchers regarding visa issues and supports them to obtain their residence permit.

This section does not concern nationals of the following countries: Member States of the European Union and the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, Monaco, Andorra and San Marino.

Short stay: less than 3 months

Some nationalities are exempt from obtaining a visa for a short stay. For more information, refer to France-visas, the official visa website for France.

Long stay: more than 3 months

The « passeport-talent » visa was created in 2016 in order to facilitate the arrival of qualified workers in France.

Researchers, postdoc, invited researchers among others can request a residence permit, “Passeport talent – chercheur” which can be valid for several years.

This residence permit stands for work permit in the field mentioned in the hosting agreement. No other work authorisation is required.

PhD students can also benefit from the « passeport talent chercheur » residence permit under certain conditions (work contract with the University). If  PhD students do not meet the requirements, they must apply for a student visa.

How can I obtain a residence permit « passeport talent – chercheur »?

  • I ask a hosting agreement (convention d’accueil) to my hosting Research Unit
  • Once I have received the original hosting agreement, I can request an appointment for a visa "passeport talent chercheur" to the French Embassy or General Consulate of my residence country.
  • Once I have the Visa, I gather the important documents I will need in France
  • Within the 2 months after my arrival in France, I make  an appointment with the Euraxess service Center to apply for my residence permit (I make sure to send a copy of my visa in the email)
  • I check the list of the required documents for the residence permit application

Particular case: You may have a Long Stay Visa (VLS-TS) which involves the online validation of your visa

The Researcher’s family

The Euraxess service centre can also guide your family through their administrative procedures.

  • The spouse of the Researcher can apply for a visa « passeport talent – famille » which gives the right to work in France.

Please check the list of the documents required for the residence permit application and make an appointment at

  • Children under 18 enter the French territory under the same conditions than their parents:

    •  Visa C Short stay: For a stay of less than 3 months
    • Visa D Long stay: For stays lasting over 3 months

They don’t need a residence permit to stay in France if their parents have a valid residence permit.

The DCEM (Document de Circulation pour Etranger Mineur = Travel document) is not mandatory but facilitates the border crossing. Please check the list of the documents required and make an appointment at

Renew your residence permit

You can apply for your residence permit renewal through the Euraxess Service Centre within the last 2 months before the expiration date of your residence permit.  You risk a fine of 180 € in case of delay

Extend you residence permit

It is sometimes possible to extend your stay in France depending on your situation. You can contact your Euraxess service centre to get personalised advice.

The 10 years residence permit

After a continuous stay of 3 or 5 years (depending on your nationality) in France with a scientific or salaried status, you can apply for a 10 years residence card. You must have a A2 French level minimum. Please check the list of the documents required and make an appointment at


To ask for the French nationality you must meet some requirements concerning the regularity of your stay in France and your integration to the French society. You must have a B1 French level minimum.

You can collect your naturalisation record to fill in at the prefecture (5 place de la Réplublique, 6700 Strasbourg) or download it online.

Your Euraxess service centre can guide you through your application and give you some advice. You will have to send your application by post mail.

Social Security

  • You are a European researcher with no salary: you can apply for the European Health Insurance Card.
  • You are a non-European passeport talent researcher without work contract in France: you must apply for a private health insurance (in France or in your home country) to cover your health costs.
  • You are a salaried researcher (European or not): you must apply to social security in France at your arrival. You will need:

    • The application form
    • A copy of your passport (pages with your identity and validity dates)
    • A copy of your residence permit or long stay visa “passeport talent chercheur”
    • A copy of your birth certificate translated into French by a sworn translator.
    • A copy of your hosting agreement (Convention d’accueil)
    • Your bank details

The researcher’s family (spouse and children up to 18) will have to apply with the same documents.

The complete application has to be send by post mail at this address:

SRI / Talents
75948 PARIS CEDEX 19

You will receive an information letter as soon as your file has been registered. If you have medical expenses, it is also to this address that you will have to send your proof of payment and care form to obtain the refund.

The Euraxess Service Center can also register you online to the social security.

Supplementary health insurance

Supplementary health insurance is not mandatory but it allows a better reimbursement of your health costs (glasses, dentist… for example).

It is recommended to compare different offers depending on your needs. You may be able to benefit from the Universal health cover.


Civil liability

Civil liability is compulsory in France. It provides you insurance cover if you accidentally cause a damage to other persons or to their goods. It is included in multiple risk housing insurance.

Housing insurance

When you rent an accommodation, housing insurance is mandatory except if you are in a furnished accommodation. The property owner or the real estate agency will require it. There are different types of contracts that provides you more or less insurance cover.

Most of the time, the housing insurance covers the real estate and your valuable goods from fire, natural disaster, flood and theft or vandalism.

Voluntary insurance for work accidents/occupational disease 

It is strongly recommended to subscribe to a voluntary insurance for work accidents and occupational diseases in case of scientific collaboration with a researcher without a work contract.

You can download the form here

Child care and schooling of children under 18

Before schooling (before 3)

 Check here the different possibilities of childcare for children from 2months old here

Schooling (from 3)

In France, school is compulsory for children from 3 to 18 years old.

Check here how to register your child to school.

Check here to get more information about international and bilingual teaching possibilities in Strasbourg

Check here to find a school in your neighbourhood

For more information about childcare benefits check here

Unemployment: registration to Pôle Emploi

When can I register ?

If you are unemeployed, you can register at any moment.

If you are working, you can register the date after the end of your work contract.

To benefit from the unemployment allowances, you must register within the 12 months following the end of your work contract.

How to register ?

You can exclusively register online, on Pole Emploi web site with the following documents:

  • Your social security number
  • Your documents concerning your professional activities
  • Your resume
  • Your bank details


How can I receive unemployment allowances (Aide au Retour à l’Emploi : ARE) ?

To receive unemployment allowances, you must be deprived of employment against your will and have been working for a minimum period of time. You can use the online simulator to estimate the amount and the duration of your unemployment allowances. You stop receiving your benefits when you find a professional activity.

How can I renew my residence permit when I receive unemployment allowances?

The Attestation from Pole Emploi “Aide au retour à l’emploi (ARE)” allows you to renew your scientific residence permit for the duration of your unemployment allowances.

Change of address or marital status

In case of change in your personal situation (change of address, wedding…) you can update your status online on the prefecture’s website

Culture and leisure

Strasbourg is a multicultural and dynamic city. Museum, library, opera, theatre, exhibitions, festivals, sport events…You will for sure find an activity that fits with your personal interests.

To be informed of the cultural agenda of Strasbourg city click here

The International University House (MUI) also offers a cultural program along the year to discover Strasbourg and its surroundings. To get information about the next events organised, click here

Travel to Strasbourg

By train

Strasbourg train station links Paris within 1h45. It is located in the city centre and is served by the tram lines.

By plane

Strasbourg-Entzheim airport covers about 30 destinations. A shuttle links the airport with the city centre within 10 min.

Other airports are easily reachable from Strasbourg: Basel Mulhouse, Frankfort, Karlsruhe-Baden.

Public transportation

Public transports are very well developed in Strasbourg (bus and tramways). They are managed by the Strasbourg public transport company CTS (Compagnie des Transports Strasbourgeois - CTS).

Tram is the most popular, most effective and by all means the most comfortable way of transport in Strasbourg. Six tramlines (A, B C, D, E and F) connect all corners of the city (from Monday to Sunday from 4.30 to 0.30).

Tickets, valid on both buses and trams, are sold by ticket machines at tram stops and cost €1.80 (€3.50 return). You can buy a ticket to the bus driver too but it is more expensive (2 €). The 24-hour Individual (for one person €4.50) and Trio (for two to three people €6.90) tickets, remain valid for 24 hours from the moment they are stamped. They are sold at tram stops.

The ticket must be validated at the tram station (before entry to the tramway) and inside the bus.

Information concerning timetables, real time departures or route information is available on CTS's website


With more than 560km of cycling routes, Strasbourg boasts the leading cycle network of France. Whether it is for everyday life, sport or leisure: in Strasbourg, the bike is King: watch for cycles and respect cycles lanes!

Vélhop are bicycles you can hire for short period. The city of Strasbourg offers this service:

More information here

Eucor, The European Campus

Eucor, The European Campus gathers five German, French and Swiss universities in the Upper Rhine region: Universität Basel, Universität Freiburg, Université de Haute-Alsace, Karlsruher Institut für Technologie, Université de Strasbourg.

University of Strasbourg encourages teachers-researchers and researchers to develop new innovative projects and to intensify the networking and the exchange of good practices with their peers. The aim is to create a scientific area with no borders and an international influence.

Check the flyer “Inernational researchers Welcome!” to get more information about the welcome services for foreign researchers from the European campus.

Check the Eucor institutional presentation video

Frequently Asked Questions

  • International University House (MUI)

Every semester, the International University House offers French courses for researchers and their spouse. It costs about 80€ per semester. For more information, you can contact

  •  French courses at the LanSAD centre “French as a foreign language” classes are provided, free of charge, for all students (regular and exchange students) who have at least an A2 level.
  • Language support (Programme d’accompagnement Linguistique – PAL): this programme combines workshop attendance and self-study. Register for an obligatory orientation session (séance d’accueil) on the ENT web portal (Environnement Numérique de Travail). To obtain a certificate of attendance, register before October 15 (1st semester) or February 18 (2nd semester).
  • TANDEM  website: helps you find French speaking partners who wish to learn your mother tongue. Register on the web portal (Environnement Numérique de Travail - ENT).
  • The International Institute for French Studies (IIEF)

The International Institute for French Studies (IIEF) offers a variety of university degrees, language courses and programs in French language and culture:

  • University degrees from beginner (A1) to advanced levels (C2)
  • Internationally and nationally recognised degrees (DELF and DALF)
  • International summer schools (in July for teachers and August for students)
  • Training courses : upon the start of the first and second semesters –September and January– , students get the opportunity to attend an upgrade course preparing them to academic life

Registration online with fees:

  • Other useful resources:

L’Alliance française

L’université Populaire Européenne

Centre International d’Etudes de Langues


The making process of a residence permit can take a few weeks; that is why you first receive a temporary residence permit so-called “récépissé”. If its date of validity ends before you receive your residence permit, you can renew it by bringing one ID photo.

A first request such as a renewal of a residence permit both cost 225€. You have to pay this amount of money with fiscal stamps directly at the prefecture when you collect your residence permit. You can purchase your fiscal stamps online or in a tobacco store.

N.B: Algerian citizens are exempted of this tax for the first residence permit.

It is possible to purchase fiscal stamps online

You can also find fiscal stamp in the tobacco stores, please find the list here


You can find the list of the sworn translators on the following websites:


ID photos must be recent (not older than 6 month) and similar to your appearance. If you submit several pictures, they must be the same. The photos have to be taken by a professional photographer or in a photo booth certified by the French Home Office.

Warning: If the pictures do not meet the criterion, they will not be accepted and the residence permit will not be delivered.

More information here


The Pass Campus allows you to be identified and have access to the different services offered at the University: food services, libraries, printings and copies, transportation, sport… Thanks to the Izly solution, you can pay and recharge your pass campus online.

If you are not employed by the University, you can request your PASS CAMPUS “carte invite” online

It is possible to travel in the Schengen area with your passport and one of the following document:

  • Your residence permit
  • Your expired residence permit + your récépissé for renewal of your residence permit
  • Your récépissé for a first request of residence permit + A temporary authorisation of stay (APS: Autorisation provisoire de séjour)

The Schengen area is composed of 26 countries



Declare the loss local police authorities (Hôtel de police - 34 Route de l'Hôpital, 67 000 Strasbourg).

Passport: with your declaration, make a new passport request at your embassy in France

Residence permit: with your declaration, you can request a duplicate at the prefecture (5, place de la République- Strasbourg).

More information here


Every foreigner who is 18 years old and more and holds a full, recognized foreign driving license can drive in France for one year after the arrival. After that, if your home country holds an areement with France, you have to exchange your driving license with a French one.

Everyone else must get a French license within the first 12 months of arrival as foreign driving licenses become invalid one year from the date of residency

More information here

In France, all your incomes must be declared to tax office generally around May even if you don’t pay taxes.

If you lived and had a salary in France the year Y-1, you must declare your incomes.

WARNING: If you don’t declare your incomes, this could lead to serious administrative issues.

You can check here the fiscal calendar

Contact :

Centre des finances publiques
35 avenue des Vosges,
67 000 Strasbourg

Since the 1st of January 2019, the income tax is taken directly from your salary. More information here